Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Return - Chapter 3: The Phone Call

It had been three long years since I started the Gajanan Medical Clinic. And it still felt like yesterday when I ventured into this godforsaken village. Serendipity works in mysterious ways. Not a day goes by without the thought of how different and futile my life may have been, had my US visa gotten accepted. In the pits of depression, I was saved by a community much less fortunate than my royal household.

The day started like any other. I reached the health center greeted by a scores of people on my 10 minute walk.
"Dr. Shalini Ruparel MBBS MD", said the plate outside my office. But I was more than just the doctor treating them. Over time, I came to know each and everyone from the slums as I would know someone from my family. Within a year, I lost all misgivings about having a nuclear family with no relatives and siblings.

I spotted Malvankar Kaka on his brisk morning walk. Even at 60, he maintained his crisp dressing. His shorts and t-shirt seemed right out off the ironing board.
"Namaskar Malvankar Kaka"

"Arey Shalini Beta. How are you?"

I knew Malvankar uncle as a friend of Dad. He was never close to me when I grew up. But he had supported me when my family opposed my plans for the Medical Clinic. He had since always been the voice of reason whenever I had a problem.

"I am doing good Kaka. We just got MRI machines for the clinic."

"I am so proud of you beta. You are working in your own country and helping us build our nation. Nahitar Aamcha Sandeep (Not like my son Sandeep)"

"Kaka! Thanks for the support. But whats wrong with what Sandeep is doing? I mean you should be proud. He is doing so great for himself in Chicago!"

"Whats wrong? He is doing good for a different country! The govt. spent so much money on his education in IIT and he abandoned our country like a traitor. How could he leave his country, his Nana...", Malvankar Kaka suddenly stopped. He raised himself on his toes as if stopping himself at the edge of a cliff and taking a back step. I had unknowingly ventured into a forbidden territory. He just gazed down not knowing how to respond to his own thoughts.

After a moments pause, I put my arm on his shoulder.
"Kaka are you ok? Why don't you say something to Sandeep? When did you last talk to him? Kaka?"

"Leave that aside. I almost forgot. I am getting late for my morning walk. I must get going. I must get going.", It only took him a moment to brush aside the emotions as he walked away without letting me respond.

I got through the day. But all the while I could not get Malvankar Kaka's hapless expression off my mind. He was so supportive of someone like Hari, who had left his home in Bihar to make a living in Pune. Was it the same for Sandeep? Well maybe. Maybe not. But even if it wasn't, I had to find a way for him to express his feelings to Sandeep.

As I was gearing up to leave for home, I remembered that I had Sandeep's mobile number on Kaka's medical file. Would it be weird if I called him? I did not even know him. Maybe I can say I am Malvankar Kaka's doctor.

"Hello this is Sandeep Maalvahnkar. I can't take your call right now. Please leave me your name, number and a brief message and I will get back to you as soon as possible", said a heavily accented voice. Boy people change when they go to the US. God who knows maybe I would have too if I had gotten my visa. What would they do with my surname? The beep on the voicemail snapped me out of my trance.

"Hi this is Dr. Shalini Ruparel from Pune. Malvankar Kaka is my patient. I wanted to talk to you about him. He is seriously missing you. But I guess he doesn't know how to say it. Hopefully you understand his situation. I think he is feeling lonely and it would be great if you call him. Hello Hello!", damn I lost signal again. Perks of living in a village I guess. Hope that message went through.

A couple of days later, I logged on to orkut. I had a friend request from Sandy Malvankar.
"How is Nana? I am leaving for India. I will be there on DL-114 on Sat. morning 9:15 pm"

The message felt abrupt. I was unsure why he had let me know about his flight details. Maybe he wanted to surprise Malvankar Kaka. That would make him so happy.
I did not know what to do next. It was too late for me to arrange for any taxis from Mumbai airport. Maybe I could get someone to drive my car to Mumbai. Last month Hari had driven my car to the Nashik health camp. Maybe he could pick Sandeep.

"Kajra Re Kajra Re Tere Kaare Kaare Naina, Kajra Re Kajra Re Tere Kaare Kaare Naina", gosh I hated songs on ringtones. Specially when you set it for the caller.

1 comment: