Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Return - Chapter 6: The Happiest day of my life!

I woke up 15 minutes before the usual time. I lay in bed for the inevitable 6 gongs on the old clock. The same gongs that Sandeep dreaded every morning before school. God it just feels like yesterday. As I grew older the memories were more vivid than earlier.

I got ready like every other day for my morning walk. I had been regular every day of my life since I left the military. Every day except the day Savitri left me. It was good exercise. But more than that I used to enjoy the different conversations I had with people I knew. As the work day started, each of them had responsibilities to take care of.

The sky looked clear but I still carried an umbrella. I didn't need a walking stick. Never used one never will. But sometimes my knees gave up and I needed my umbrella. As old and crickety as it was, I had used the same one for 35 yrs. When we used to take a stroll around the park, I used it to cover Sandeep from rain and shine. Haha I even gave him a nice beating with it when he made those drawings on the new paint.

"Oye Ramdev."
"Jee Saab"
"Why are you late?", I said to Ramdev as he rushed from his cycle to give me my Loksatta.
"Here it is Saab. Sorry my cycle had a puncture in the morning"
"No problem. I got my newspaper on time.", I smiled at him and started walking to the park.

"Beep Beep", I heard a few horns in my lane.

Is that Shalini's car? Why is Hari driving it? Maybe her parents are visiting.

"Tukaram. Get me my regular"
"Here it is Malvankar Saab. Wheat Grass Juice"

Tukaram always kept a glass for me even though it got over at 5 am. I finished it by the time I reached Shalini's clinic.

"....Hey I gotta go attend a patient. I will talk to you later.", Shalini cut the phone as I entered the room.
"Good morning Beta. You seem really happy"
"Nothing Kaka. It is Saturday. So I am getting off half day. You remember I am cooking dinner today."
"Yes Beta I remember"
"Yea Yea. You always say that. You forgot last month."
"Aga I told you that day I was having a headache. I would have.."
"You would have made it if Sandeep was cooking", She said with a smile on her face.
"What nonsense? He cannot cook. And what does that have to do with today? I don't want to spoil my mood by thinking about that traitor"
"Ok Ok Kaka Sorry. I was just teasing.", She said with a bigger smile. I don't know what I would have done if Shalini had not moved to Pune. I couldn't be mad at her even if I wanted to.
"Accha I got to go home. I have a rummy game at the army club at 4. I will see you in the evening. Bye Beta"
"Bye Kaka"

As I reached the bungalow, I saw the gate was open. 20 years in Pune and I had not seen a burglary. Not in Major Vishwanath Malavankar's house at least. I pushed open the front door. The house was filled with the smell of ginger tea and Pohe.

"Who is it? Who is it I say", I shouted. I saw my reflection in the mirror carrying the umbrella like a bat. The big glasses, frail body and toothpick hands. When did Major Malvankar start looking that way?
"You survived 3 wars Major. You can take him down", I repeated it in my mind as I peeked into the kitchen. There was a shadow of someone. As I took steps towards the kitchen, I could hear my heartbeats getting louder. Someone was walking out. I took position beside the door to take a swipe at him. As he came closer, I stopped my umbrella midway.

"Sandeep? Is that you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment